Thursday, November 11, 2010

Networking and co-working facility in Baltimore

Today is Veteran's Day, or as some call it, Armistice Day. A holiday for the federal government, and therefore a free day for me. I did what I could with it.

I lunched with former co-workers today. Yummy burgers! And speculation on the future of tech. We all agree that Java needs a "2.0" version, something that moves Java up from its current level to compete with .NET. We consider the current Java (and its JVM and libraries) as "Java 1.0". It showed that the virtual processor was feasible, and usable, and even profitable. Microsoft .NET is a competent product and Sun (now Oracle) must step up and improve Java to match .NET.

I also visited the Baltimore Beehive, a co-working location. For a modest fee, one gains access to the facility, which is a large room with tables, chairs, monitors, power, and network access. I see several advantages to working in the Beehive over working at home: fewer distractions, better furniture, a collection of books, and interaction with other folks at the facility.


No comments:

Post a Comment