Monday, June 15, 2009

My first web app

I have successfully built my first web application. Using a combination of shell scripts, Perl, Perl's DBI module, MySQL, SQL, Apache, PHP, HTML, and CSS, I have created a small system to collect, store, and present information on source code. More than static HTML pages, this application creates the pages dynamically, from the data collected.

The application runs on three different computers. One collects the data on the supplied source code; the second runs the MySQL server, the web server, and the PHP processor; and the third displays the results in a browser.

This is about as simple as a web application can get. (Much like the "world's simplest bank" described in an episode of "This American Life". The bank had one deposit customer and one loan customer, each with one account.)

I don't expect to be considered as an expert because of this simple web app. But I can say, with confidence, that I understand the concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment