Thursday, January 29, 2009

Progress with MySQL

I made some progress with MySQL today. I configured it to recognize my user account and to let me create a table. This took a little doing, and the book I had was not quite helping. The book is MySQL first edition by Paul DuBois which is for MySQL 3.2, and I am running MySQL 5.0. A few things have changed. Fortunately, the ACM-supplied Safari website has a later version of the book, which I have now added to my bookshelf. That version had the pertinent information.

I also had lunch with Derek and Julie, two former co-workers. It was a nice lunch, with a good discussion about the current state of the market. We also discussed a few items that had transitioned from me to them and resolved a few questions.

Balancing my work and personal life, I went to the symphony tonight. They had three pieces: Liadnov, Tchaikovsky, and Shostakovitch, each progressively heavier. The last was a bit of a bear; I just do get Shostakovitch. Maybe I need to listen more and learn a little more about the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment