Friday, January 30, 2009

From MySQL to Ruby on Rails - part 1

I've made enough progress with MySQL to feel comfortable using it with Ruby on Rails. I can create tables, enter data, update data, and change security settings. I even solved a problem with the 'LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE' command, although it was a trivial command-line switch for the mysql client program.

I've installed gems and Ruby on Rails. The next step is to start using Ruby on Rails. That will have to wait until Monday.

I accomplished other things today. I attached the old HP CD-writer 8200 to //desdemona, so now I can (theoretically) copy CDs. Not that I need to, but its good to know that the drive works. Or at least reads CDs. I should test burning capabilities.

I moved the HP 950C printer from //mylene to //desdemona and tested it. I can print from //desdemona with no problems, but //mylene cannot see the CUPS server, even after specifying the exact IP address. I see no reason for the failure. (Yes, I allowed CUPS through the firewall on //desdemona.) Grrr.

I read a bit more of The Anatomy of a Compiler. I finished chapter six, which covers the parsing of arithmetic expressions. In excruciating detail. Only four chapters to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment