Saturday, December 12, 2015

Backups - rsync and Google cloud storage

I've been using Google's cloud storage for backups, and I am impressed with what I have found.

My previous method was to use rsync and store backups on a local server. It works, although the local server is old -- and a bit small. Eventually, I would need a larger disc.

Google's cloud services remove that problem.

Synchronizing with the Google store is, interestingly, faster than the synchronization with the local server. The first time was longer, of course, as the Google gs_utils package had to transfer every file to the cloud. But after that first transfer, successive synchronizations have been must faster.

Google cloud services aren't free. But for pennies a month (literally), I can have backups that are accessible anywhere I have a network connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment