Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Early warning for the end of the contract

My contract was extended, yet I received a taste of the true end of the contract.

The contracting company uses a web site to report hours. They entered the initial (un-extended) termination date of the contract (October 5th) and did not update it when the contract was extended. After the 5th, the web site refused to let me enter hours. (Actually, it refused to let me sign on at all, which is another issue. I would expect the ability to sign in and review hours.)

A few e-mails to the right people got the problem solved. But it did get me thinking: what will I do when the contract ends? What would I do if the contract were to end early?

The opportunity was a welcome one. It forced me to evaluate my situation, which I think is pretty good.

  • I have some savings, so I can live without a paycheck for some time
  • My expenses are predictable and steady
  • I have a good set of contacts in the technical and recruiting worlds
  • I have a set of marketable skills

I can ponder the situation and I know that I can cope with it. That's a good place to be.

And a lesson: When the end of the contract approaches, reach out to people and ensure that everyone has the same understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment