Monday, May 30, 2011

Science fiction convention

I visited the local science fiction convention (Balticon) this week-end. A good decision.

The "con" was filled with science fiction enthusiasts. Many were people involved in IT; I talked with several folks about programming technology. Mind you, I made it easy to spot me as a computer geek. I wore t-shirts with computer programmer themes and carried the trusty HP-35 calculator. The shirts and calculator were conversation-starters, and I talked with people about things from FORTRAN to Python.

The con had a lot of creative and smart people. It had sessions for science fiction, hard science, culture, and writing/publishing. I looked for the sessions with the odd-sounding titles; I've found that those are the sessions with the new and different ideas.

It was good to get away from the office and talk with other people about the future of computing.

No comments:

Post a Comment