Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Performance measurements

I've been using Micro-Focus DevPartner Studio for Visual Studio C++ these past few days. (Weeks?) I'm pretty impressed.

It took some time for me to get used to it. Configuring DevPartner Studio is not obvious, although that may be a fault of Visual Studio and its arrangement for plug-ins. But once you configure your projects and build them with the right settings, DevPartner Studio collects run-time information for you. You can collect errors (the old Bounds-Checker type over-runs and illegal references), performance information, or code coverage data. I've been using the performance information, which can be used to improve program run-time performance.

I've made several changes to the code based on the reports. In a few cases, the data showed me programming "goofs" -- things I was doing in C++ that were legal but not quite what I intended. (Yet C++ accepted them, quietly using the default type conversions.) DevPartner's reports allowed me to fix those problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment