Sunday, March 7, 2010

Getting away from the office

I've been posting about my trials (and successes) at the office. I have to remind myself that this blog is not solely about accomplishments at the office, but about my progress as a professional. Time for a step back, and another look at myself.

I've been working with the local ACM chapter to set up a 'career day' for students at a local school. This has been an interesting task, as it is not technical but managerial. (Collecting speakers, arranging for a meeting space, etc.) It's a nice break from the day-to-day office work, which is technical.

I'm reading Roszak's The Cult of Information, an interesting book from the mid-1980s. The author makes some good points about our enthusiasm with computers and our eagerness to teach programming to everyone. Data is not information, which is not knowledge, which in turn is not wisdom. I'm enjoying it.

This week-end I spent a little time playing with Ruby. I wrote some simple scripts to compare documents and create a commonality metric. I took the algorithm from O'Reilly's PDF Hacks book. The book had a routine in bash; writing it in Ruby was easy. A simple project, requiring little time, but a fun diversion.


No comments:

Post a Comment