Sunday, February 28, 2010

The end of Windows 7 RC

Windows 7 gave me a message today: "This version of Windows expires in 1 days."

I'm using the release candidate of Windows 7, the free version that Microsoft distributed last year. I knew that it had an expiration date built into it; I thought it expired in June. Apparently, my memory is incorrect.

I won't say that I will miss Windows 7. It had a nice, shiny interface but it did little else above the old Windows XP.

This computer was the only computer with Windows. I have a MacBook and several PCs running Linux.

The question now is: Do I acquire a real copy of Windows 7? //syssiphus (the Windows 7 PC) came without an operating system, so the release candidate was a good match at the time.

The only thing that Windows 7 gives me is access to servers in the office. I have successfully set up the proper access accounts and tested access from //syssiphus. I tried access from Linux computers, but access is not complete. I can get so far but not to the virtual desktop.

I'm not sure that I want an operating system that uses the plural form when the singular form is required. The expiration warning message read " 1 days", not "1 day". Displaying the proper form is not hard, but does take some effort. Another shortcut by Microsoft, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment