Sunday, November 1, 2009

Starting a new gig

No posts for a week! Have I been slacking?

Hardly. I started a gig in Washington DC last Tuesday. I've been commuting in, working during the day, commuting home, and handling necessary chores in the evenings.

Starting a new gig is interesting. You meet a bunch of people (and promptly forget their names), get shown a desk in an office (and sometimes forget the way to it), and review some code. You change passwords on your new accounts. You learn the process for time-tracking and billing.

The code for this project is in C++. There are three major parts. I've looked at them and the code seems reasonable. It can be improved, but I've seen worse. (Much worse.) I used the MKS tools to count lines of code (LOC) and get a feel for the size of the three programs. (All are small enough for a small team to handle.) I wrote some Perl scripts to parse the programs and generate class dependencies. These show a lot of linkage between classes. The programs are tightly coupled. One of our goals is to make them less so.


No comments:

Post a Comment